Optimize Your landing pages to Drive Revenue and ROI
Imagine you’re in a log cabin in the middle of the Alaskan tundra. Don’t ask us why or how you got there—you’re just there. It’s freezing cold and about three feet of snow is on the ground.
Luckily, this cabin has a large fireplace, but no wood. You find an ax in a spare closet, take a deep breath, and venture outside into the snowstorm to chop some wood. After you gather your firewood and go back inside, you realize you don’t have any matches to start a fire. All of your chopping has been for naught.
Sounds awful, right?
The same can be said for pay-per-click (PPC) marketing campaigns. It takes a lot of time and effort to create PPC ads that attract quality leads and get them to click. However, if that ad takes them to an ineffective landing page, all of your hard work was made in vain.
Think of your pay-per-click landing page as the fuel that ignites campaign success. PPC landing page optimizations are crucial for driving revenue and ROI. If your landing page sucks, prospects will become frozen and fail to move further down the funnel closer to conversion. Kind of like you in that Alaskan log cabin without fire.
Thankfully, we’re here to help make your PPC landing pages red hot!
Understanding Landing Page Optimization
A landing page is a standalone website to which leads will be directed after clicking a PPC ad. Landing pages are intended for one specific goal, called a call-to-action (CTA). CTAs can look like having prospects make a purchase, sign up for your email newsletter, or fill out a form to download an eBook.
However, if you fail to optimize landing pages, all that traffic that rolls in like a train will roll out just as quickly. Your landing page must align with your PPC campaign and contain five essential elements, including:
- An easy and enjoyable user experience (UX)
- Compelling copy
- Mobile-responsive design
- Relevant, consistent messaging
- A clear CTA
Without these five components, your landing pages are about as effective as trying to start a fire without a match.
How Landing Page Optimization Impacts PPC Campaigns
Landing pages are often a prospect’s first interaction with your business after clicking a PPC ad. If your landing page isn’t optimized, it will impact two key metrics that determine the success of your PPC campaigns, including:
- Quality score: The rating calculated by Google to determine the relevance and quality of your PPC ad
- Ad rank: The placement of your PPC ad on the search engine’s results page (SERP)
Lackluster landing page experiences, ad relevance, and post-click conversion rates affect your quality score and ad ranking. And if these are low, your entire PPC campaign will suffer.
5 Strategies for Effective Landing Page Optimization
So, what steps can you take to optimize your landing pages and make your PPC campaign red-hot? Use these five tips to boost your quality score and ad rank while driving conversions.
- Clear, concise, and compelling copy: A landing page’s messaging must be easy to understand, straightforward, and fully aligned with the goal of your PPC campaign.
- Strong CTA: Your CTA must be direct and bold to inspire leads to take action. Vague, wishy-washy copy will just lead to higher bounce rates.
- Mobile responsiveness: The landing page must be developed with all devices in mind, including smartphones and laptops. More leads will jump ship if the mobile version suffers from lazy loading.
- Stellar UX: The landing page should deliver an amazing user experience. It should be visually appealing and easy to navigate. The page should effortlessly guide readers to the CTA at the bottom.
- Consistent messaging: All messaging that appears on the landing page should be cohesive in intent, personality, subject matter, and tone to your ads.
Additionally, you must continuously perform A/B testing and data analytics to learn what design elements and copy deliver the best results.
Helpful Tools and Resources for Landing Page Optimization
There are many tools and resources you can leverage to optimize PPC landing pages. A few of our favorite tools are:
- Unbounce for stunning pre-design landing page templates
- Optimizely is a great all-in-one tool for A/B testing
- Five Second Test to learn how fast your landing page is loading
Need more assistance? Explore our in-depth guides, blogs, and other resources to maximize your marketing materials.
Common Mistakes to Avoid in Landing Page Optimization
You must know what mistakes to avoid to ensure your landing pages are fully optimized. These include:
- Neglecting the design and layout of your landing page
- Ignoring the relevance between your PPC ads and landing page
- Not aligning the PPC ad copy with the landing page
- Adjusting your campaigns on blind faith and not using analytics and data for optimization
- Failing to optimize your landing page for mobile
Landing Page Optimization: Add More Fuel to the Conversion Fire
Stop freezing your funnel. By optimizing your landing pages for your PPC campaigns, you’ll improve quality score and ad ranking, while driving more conversions and profits.
Before publishing your page, ensure it aligns with your ads, features concise and cohesive copy and CTAs, and is mobile-friendly.